Monday, April 09, 2007

Eastershine

Here's a little Eastershine for those you with Eastersnow. Just keep in mind that the sun was gone by 3pm, and we'll soon be back in the 30's at night. Above, you see the cold frames (with their end windows laying against the sides due to the warm temps).

I lost a few windows during the December wind storms. So, rather than use my original set-up from last year (see this link and this one), I decided to set them up directly in the garden. This way, some plants can actually go in the ground rather than hanging out longer in pots while they benefit from some protection. Some of these windows won't last much longer so next year, I'll move on to some sort of tunnel/hoop cloche for 1 or 2 beds.

Left, front A-frame above has volunteer chives and a few lettuce seedlings planted Saturday. Next right has large pea seedlings hardening off before being planted. Next right has just seeded beets and 2 broccoli seedlings just planted out. Far right A-frame has many lettuce seedlings and 2 more broccoli seedlings planted out on Saturday. I'll have some of the lettuce cleared out and the A-frame gone before the broccoli plants need all of the space.
My new (used) Easter (garden) basket. I don't know if the dividers are to separate wine bottles or something else, but they really work to keep tools in place, hold seed packets and to separate the camera from the tools. I've not been a big glove wearer, but now I wear these most of the time. Before the sun moved on, it was just a beautiful time for puttering around in the herb bed, pulling some young grass and dandelions and checking everything out. And these are the little "Easter eggs" I found digging around in the herb bed. I'm also happy to see the bee balm / Monarda sending up shoots. The wonderful rosemary, sorry to say, did not make it though the snow and ice this winter. It was the trailing type and I've found it to be more sensitive to cold winters than the upright rosemary.

9 comments:

Libbys Blog said...

It has really warmed up quickly hasn't it! You have been ever so busy!
Looks like Mr Frog will be too!!

RUTH said...

I love the cold frames. Sorry to hear you lost the trailing Rosemary, I have heard it is not quite as hardy.

Allotment Lady said...

My goodness you have worked your socks off. Love all the photos and am truly envious of your windowframe cold frame/cloches.

Such a lovely post.

talj said...

wow! you have been busy! Great photos and love your little tool basket! :o)

Suzanne said...

I love your garden blog!
I live in Maui but am soon moving
to Portland Oregon so I start
my day with a cup of coffe and watch your garden grow.

Sheila said...

Great photos, it's lovely to see things growing. It always amazes me that anything in the ground can survive the winter..

Blackswamp_Girl said...

I love those cold frames! I have a bunch of trashpicked windows in my garage that would be perfect for that. Do you just set the hinged ones up such that the single ones lay against each end, or is there a trick to it?

Petunia's Gardener said...

Ohhh don't be fooled. It is now 44 degrees. I hope they all find a little comfort behind the glass. Maybe Suzanne won't see this and change her mind!

BSG, The ends of these are just leaning on the a frame, leaving a bit of gap at the bottom and top as these are somewhat cold hardy plants. But, that's also how I lost some windows in the windstorm. Here is what I did last year to keep the plants more snug and the windows secure: I attached a simple handle to the top/front of the end windows. Then I used a small bungie cord with hooks on the ends to connect the handle with the hinge (anyway you can). This secured the top. I placed a brick or a board next to the bottom of the end windows. To vent, I would slip the bottom of the end window out a little. It probably won't fall without this bottom brace, but it just helped keep it in place.

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Petunia's Gardener, thank you so much for the tips! Now if only this snow would finally go away so I could get going on some of this seeding and growing... :)