Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Birds be Warned: Sunflower Seed Plans

Sorry, birds. You cannot have these jumbo sunflower seeds! And you might not get to harvest all you can eat from the garden either. A Chinese friend from work has been sharing these around the office and they've been quite a hit. When she first showed them to me, I was amazed by the size (they are large, but note that they're on a quite small saucer above). We couldn't decide what flavor they had so she brought the bag in to show us.
The ingredients?: Sunflower seeds, salt (but light), LICORICE and FENNEL, artificial sweetener. The seeds are soaked and boiled with the ingredients and then dried. They aren't messy in the hand and what a nice flavor!

Do you think I can make them from my sunflowers? I have fennel seedlings and anise hyssop seedlings which are supposed to have nice licorice-flavored leaves. I can feel an experiment coming this summer! Thanks for sharing, L!

9 comments:

RUTH said...

As I love liquorice and fennel these sound very tasty. It would be fun for you to try it.

dot said...

They sound really good!

talj said...

oooh looking forward to seeing what happens with these! :o)

MrBrownThumb said...

Yeah that sounds like a tasty combination.

Libbys Blog said...

I love liquorice too! mmmmmmmm!!

I am getting quite a collection of succulents now! You can get some amazing shapes and sizes!!

Allotment Lady said...

I bought a mixuture of something similar in the health food shop - but they were toasted - they are yummy and not slimming!

Do save the packaging for cardmaking won't you!

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Please don't mention the word liquorice to a Dutch person, we are addicted to the stuff, it's a thing! ;-)

Sounds like a very interesting experiment for you to try.

Sheila said...

These sound delicious. Let us know if you make some.HJappy Easter to you and yours..!

Anonymous said...

Where do i find some? I have had them before and would kill to get more. not really. I have not seen anyone who sells them in the United States.