Sunday, March 11, 2007

Definitely Started Something

A year ago today, I spent some time on a rainy afternoon searching for vegetable garden ideas and photos. I landed at Mike's Allotment (searched for vegetable garden photos and there was his blog), Clodhoppers (parsnip lessons), The Allotment Lady (and the "girls"), and Allotment 21 (now living at Veg Plot). Before the day was over, Petunia's Garden was launched! The garden was named this before the blog, and Petunia really is the snake that lives there.

Don't know that blogging has done much for the garden, but it has really helped me pay attention to the changes over the year and the critters that visit the garden. Your blogs and comments here have been a tremendous help, though!

Above, you see the early sprouters from last Saturday's planting. Tomatoes on the left, broccoli on the right. I wasn't going to use these little seed starting pellets, but I had some already. They've also allowed me to transfer these early sprouters to the window while the others stay on a slight heat source (ok, in the cabinet under the kitchen sink which gets warmed by the heat vent). It's the fennel and parsley seeds that seem to be taking longer. The parsley seeds are quite old but I had good results from some other older herb seeds last year.

6 comments:

RUTH said...

Parsley can be difficult to germinate. I have heard that if you so it outside drench the area with boiling water first....don't know if that works for pots too.

A wildlife gardener said...

I love these Jiffy Pots, as we call them, great for helping the germination process.

Carol said...

Congratulations on a year of Petunia's Garden!

Jackie said...

I've been keeping an eye on what you are planting and what your garden is looking like -- and I am so jealous! We won't be home until the middle of April, but even if I was home now, I wouldn't see much coming up yet. Too cold on our side of the mountain. I'm SO anxious to start digging in the dirt again. Thanks for sharing.

carletongardener said...

cool sprouts! i'm jealous. i'll start my peppers soon. they'll need to stay warm.

Melanie Rimmer said...

I know what you mean. I love feeling part of a community of garden bloggers, too. My blog also serves as the gardening journal I was always too disorganised to keep. I can read back and see what I planted, when and where, and what happened to it.