Monday, March 12, 2007

The Corydalis Growing in My Garage

Here is what the January Surprise found in the garage now looks like. And the bonus surprise is the fragrance! I probably wouldn't have noticed it outside, but standing next to it in the garage, its fragrance really had me dreaming of spring. It's a Corydalis 'Blackberry Wine' that came to me as gift on May Day 2006. It lived on my front porch until I thought it was a goner in December and moved the pot to the garage. For now, it sits by a window in my garage, but in a few months, I think it will find a permanent home in a shady flower bed by the patio so it can really do its thing.

Sowing update:
No peas sprouting in the garden from last week's sowing so I decided to get a few cool weather crops underway inside. Lettuce, spinach and snow peas, plus flowering sweet peas. I really hope the sweet peas will grow well here. We've had a few days of some odd & warm weather (more Pineapple Express from HI, I've learned), but the garden soil just seems so cold and wet for encouraging little seedlings. I can watch them grow inside for awhile, protect them from slugs and then get them cozy outdoors later.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

A determined little plant and a pretty one too.

Yolanda Elizabet said...

That corydalis is very pretty and tough as old boots. How wonderful that it is scented too. The flowers are very elegant and I love the colour!

RUTH said...

What a wonderful surprise....I never realised they had a scent either.

Gotta Garden said...

Isn't that great! Just love a plant with a will to survive! Definitely deserves a spot! And, a bonus of fragrance, too! Jackpot!

Ki said...

I wanted to plant corydalis but I read somewhere that they are difficult to grow after the first year so I held back. But if they're tough as yours I might as well go ahead and get some now. Thanks for the beautiful photo.