Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Why Wait

I SHOULD wait to post this until it flowers, but why wait alone? This bromeliad (or air plant) has happily moved to our bathroom for the winter (from the kitchen). We've had it for years. It just sits on the stones for support and takes its nutrition and moisture from the atmosphere (plus a dunking now and then). In the photo, its slightly furry texture shows up as frosted white areas. Soon after flowering, a new plant clump, or pup, will appear to the side. They could be broken apart, but we've just left them together so far. This is my kind of house plant.
This is a small century plant that keeps the bromeliad company. Seems rather content, but with more light, it would probably be more compact. I suspect the roots have reached the bottom too. The damaged lower leaf was from the cutting required to remove it from the crowded pot it was in when it was tiny. Other than that, the leaves are beautiful and the face makes me smile in the mornings.

7 comments:

Allotment Lady said...

Air plants - forty years ago I bought one for my father in law - they were very rare and unusual over here then. I had its very on little tree trunk with moss on.

Love your quirky pots - and your stunning photos

RUTH said...

Air plants are great things to have....a couple of years ago they showed a fantastic stand at the Chelsea Flower Show; there was every shape and size you could imagine. Love that smiley face pot...:-)

Libbys Blog said...

My mum used to have air plants, I wonder what she's done with them, they look like a fun thing to try!!

Scarecrow said...

That little face would brighten up any morning!! :)

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Funny plants in funny pots, just what I like!

www.motherearthsgarden.com said...

You went the easy route I see! I think you have the better plan! I have an indoor ficcus! Great little tree but very tempermental! Love your pictures!

Jackie said...

I like the idea of an air plant - haven't seen one in years - but am going to look for one now! I'm taking home agave 'babies' to plant, just haven't decided whether or not I'll try any outside. I think I'llhave to use them for houseplants in our cold weather climate.