Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Winter Garden of Sorts

This is for Anita at My Country Cottage Garden. Every time I see her quilted & needlework creations, I think of this little table runner. So, I have taken it out to enjoy for the post holiday/pre-spring season. My Great-Grandmother H. gave it to me. It was either her Aunt or Great-Aunt that had made it a long time ago. I wonder if she made it during the winter when she couldn't garden and needed something colorful. The stitching makes me think of flowers & garden patterns.
It is made from silk, satin and velvet pieces. Scraps I'm sure, some from ties. Maybe coat and hat linings, dresses and who know what else. My G-Grandmother said the plain center was a place for the things usually found on a table. I wasn't willing to do that, so it is adding color in the living room instead.
I have another piece I'll share later in the week. The days past are also on my mind as I have some time to spend with DP's stories today.

7 comments:

Helpmate said...

The colors in that piece sure brighten your little table. I'll have to come take a look in person!

Sheila said...

To think each piece is a bit of family history, from a favourite dress, or blouse etc. It's great to have something she made ..I love it.

mrsnesbitt said...

How wonderful!
I have a full drwer for my stash.....I must open the drawer soon!

Dxx

dot said...

Very pretty!

Anita said...

Paula, I am THRILLED! Such a lovely crazy quilt! This is more than beautiful!!! OMG, I need to look at it again... wow, such a lovely piece!

Wildflower Cabin said...

Oh what a beautiful treasure you have there!! It's amazing! You are so blessed to have received this family heirloom! I enjoyed looking at it.

Allotment Lady said...

Wow - it takes my breath away. So beautiful I would love to pick it up and put it against my skin