Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Need Garden Space? Look Up!

Check out this garden (park, really) on the roof of a modern houseboat in Lake Union in Seattle. Also the houseboat to the right. While out with friends in their boat last Sept., I took this photo especially to share with gardener bloggers (just didn't intend to wait so long).
Here is one little alleyway of houseboats (of many). Near one such community (& maybe more) there is a community garden used by those who cannot garden on their roof. The community gardens in Seattle are called P-Patches, named after the first one at Picardo Farm which also has the most wonderful soil in town. I haven't posted pictures of it yet, but here and here are two others I visited last April.
I liked the combination of big and small watercrafts we encountered.

8 comments:

RUTH said...

Great photos. We've so much in our little garden I'd love to be able to start one on the roof!

Naturegirl said...

WoW that's some garden on the roof top..WoW! Thank you for sharing and coming into my snow garden..I have many photos of the pond I posted last summer months. Having the pond is my favorite place to sit and just be in the moment. ~*Pop by on Thurs. as I am having a give-a-way!*~:)NG

Sheila said...

These are lovely photos, I think I could be quite at home in one of the house boats. I checked the older posts as well, great plots. It looks like a super place, thanks for sharing.

wendy said...

Great photo...Awwww houseboats, iv always dreamed of having one since i first saw the movie houseboat with Cary Grant..
I`m such a soppy romantic!!

Helpmate said...

How interesting! One would never know it was a house boat. It's certainly not the traditional architecture. Great photos, too.

Libbys Blog said...

That is so lovely!! I think it would be reaLLY great to live in a houseboat, but I wonder how damp it would be???

dot said...

Those are beautiful photos! So colorful! Wouldn't it be neat just to take a vacation on a house boat!

mrsnesbitt said...

Up on the roof? LOL!
No room for a garden...my husband is up there! LOL

Dx