Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Just One More...

Another sunflower in January is just what I need! I've intended to post this one ever since September. This is an Italian White Sunflower, from seeds given out at the 2004 Seattle flower & garden show, and quite a nice surprise in the garden last summer. This year, I'll plant them earlier and more of them so I can have some as cut flowers also. This plant was around 4-5 feet tall and had a number of branches with flowers.

The seed packet & my usual catalog says they are thought to be an heirloom variety brought to the US by European immigrants. The catalog also says, though, that they've been observed as a wild desert variety. I didn't research further.

So if you are making your list, maybe you have room for this dainty sunflower.

10 comments:

Greenmantle said...

Hello PG...I blogged..."Therefore I am"

Sheila said...

Another lovely sunflower, these are so cheerful, I love them..!

Helpmate said...

Great photos. Again. You're such a natural with the camera.

Scarecrow said...

They are lovely Sunflowers, aren't they, so many different colours. Just great!!

Carol said...

On your recommendation, why not! I'll see if I can fit it in someplace.

wendy said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!

Libbys Blog said...

Yep! I love sunflowers too, they are so cheerful, have to see if we have it here!!!

mrsnesbitt said...

Lovely, pure beauty!
D

Allotment Lady said...

I sure would like to get my hands on those seeds - must see if I can

john curtin said...

I grew that variety this year and they made excellent cut flowers. I've saved some seed so we'll see if they come good again this summer.