Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bridge of Glass

The Bridge of Glass is a 500-foot-long pedestrian overpass leading to the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, Washington. Part of it is covered with this ceiling of glassworks called the Seaform Pavilion. We enjoyed a late evening visit and it did have an under the ocean feeling to it, especially on the dark night. But as I've been reading the seed catalogs at night, I think I've also been dreaming of my crazy flower patches mixed in the vegetables last year.
The Museum of Glass is a museum, but it also has a hot shop used by resident and visiting artists. We spent hours watching a visiting artist make a sculpture of a pair of old style striped swim trunks. Her process of making each of the stripes and then forming the legs of the trunks was fascinating (as well as the whole process of making it from glass).
At first, we could not tell how she was going to make it happen, but then it started to take on its shape and character. The glass, however, seems to have a mind of its own and the artist was constantly in motion. Why swim trunks?.... She said the swim trunks reminded her of summers at the beach when she was young.

10 comments:

RUTH said...

The Bridge of Glass is beautiful. Hubby and I always call the seed/plant catalogues our "Wish Books".

Allotment Lady said...

That is stunning - I thought it was painted silk at first glance

Sheila said...

This is spectacular. They look like jelly fish to me..?
The colours are wonderful, great pictues.

wendy said...

Amazing photo!!! im a big fan of chihuly - been to a few of his exhibitions over here!!!

Red said...

Beautiful! I will need to see that someday when I venture west.

Libbys Blog said...

Exquisite! I would love to see it with my own eyes!

mrsnesbitt said...

Fantastic!

Fantastic!

dot said...

I've never seen anything like it! Beautiful colors.

I was so surprised to see your comment that you lived in Huntsville. I've never been there but hope to go one day.

Sigruns German Garden said...

That's the best, I have seen in the last time! I'm impressed.

Sigrun

Petunia's Gardener said...

Yes, this is a Chihuly work. Come on out and we'll go see it, Red!