Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Winter gardening answers, here

Thanks for the advice that has come in from my winter gardening question! These gardeners have encouraged me to give it a shot. I'll probably try the old windows I have as a cold frame and rain shield in one of the garden beds for some plants. Advice comments and links are below. Any other thoughts?

I enjoyed nice, slightly misty, walk around the garden tonight. All of those days of blue skies and hot temperatures don't even seem real now! No way we could have that many in a row. Steamed zucchini, spinach and tomatoes with our pasta tonight. The young zucchini looks great again, but really doesn't have the flavor of those born in the summer. Steamed garden spinach is nothing like that stuff I remember on our plates in grade school!

Molly, from Life on Tiger Mountain, also in Washington, shared the advice below, plus more advice in her Winter Garden post: "Your best bet right now is garlic, which the Issaquah Grange will probably carry, and which you plant in October or November, and then do nothing. It's like tulips, only easier because the slugs don't eat garlic. When the tops fall over in July you pull it up and there's a spot for next year's winter crops.You are a little late for winter broccoli. The days are getting too short for good growth. Salad greens you could grow under a cold frame." Sounds like garlic might be the winter crop I'll appreciate when we are short on light and long on rain. I love Molly's description of it above!

Harvest, of Real Food & Scandalous Gardening Secrets, shared the comments below, and it was her post I had seen on Bodacious Broccoli: "Of course it all depends on which zone you are in and which variety you grow . . . Over here on the west coast we can plant Broccoli any time between now and the end of October or even early November and get a late winter or early spring crop. Also there are many root vegetables and other delights. Like Fennel! Yum, I love the fall and winter garden . . . " I'm north of Harvest, though, with shorter and possibly more gray days. I think I'll try a few broccoli seeds just to see what they'll do.

Becky, from My Serenity Garden, shared this:
"I have never grown a winter garden. I would like to try though. If I plant anything now, it will be elephant garlic so it gets a head start." I love roasted elephant garlic, thanks for the tip!

Thanks, garden bloggers!

1 comment:

john curtin said...

Don't know how cold it gets over there in winter but you'll be fine with garlic (mine will go in mid Oct)and perhaps you could try some winter hardy onion sets - these mature quickly come spring and you get an early (June/July) harvest of onions. Also I will sow winter hardy broad bean - Aquadulce Claudia and these will grow away in spring and in theory be less susceptible to aphid attacks! One gardens in hope rather than certainty. Good luck