Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Winter gardening advice, part II

Here are two more winter gardening tips. Enough delay, now I need to get my winter plans underway!

Silvia, from Windywillow, shared this comment: "A lot of the time, I see what nature itself is doing. Here in Ireland, my parsley-gone-to-seed has recently started dropping its dark brown seeds, so I have planted parsley seeds as well. I did the same last year around early September, and had a nice crop of parsley all winter for eating and cooking. I think Ireland's weather is similar to yours, so if you like parsley, planting now is good!" She also has a great post on growing roses from the seeds in rose hips. Sounds like a good fall/winter project also! My parsley is self-seeding now so I hope to have a new crop soon. (or maybe I should buy some seed. Does self-seeded parsley seeds need to go through a winter to sprout?

From the UK, John at Spade Work: From Plot to Plate shared this: "Don't know how cold it gets over there in winter but you'll be fine with garlic (mine will go in mid Oct) and perhaps you could try some winter hardy onion sets - these mature quickly come spring and you get an early (June/July) harvest of onions. Also I will sow winter hardy broad bean - Aquadulce Claudia and these will grow away in spring and in theory be less susceptible to aphid attacks! One gardens in hope rather than certainty. Good luck." A beautiful garden and blog he has too. Garlic definitely has the lead in votes for planting soon!

Thanks again for the great information shared.

3 comments:

Salix Tree said...

My parsley does self seed, and I have several tiny parsley planties already growing in the garden. Although, with these, I have no idea what variety they will be. But it doesn't really matter to me, I can surely tell the difference once they grow a bit more!
When I collect the seed itself, and plant into labled pots, I know what I'm getting.

Allotment Lady said...

I love the discovering self sown seed

Just a few days ago, I found verbena bonensiaris(sp) self seeded in some gravel - so I am soon to pot it up and save it overwinter - I have had trouble growing it from packet seeds!

Molly said...

I noticed the other day that a chervil plant I let go to seed in the spring has self-sown, so I have many little chervil plants. I don't know how frost-hardy chervil is, but I guess I'll soon find out. I know that it cannot take the hot weather at all. I have one bed where an heirloom variety of lettuce (Maule's, I think) self-sows over and over. Whenever conditions are just right for germination, it comes up.