Tuesday, July 18, 2006

What color is your world?

I've noticed in the evenings that some bees seem to park themselves at a favorite flower so they are ready to go in the morning (well, it might be for other bee reasons). Hey, I thought, here's one hanging out for the evening and even I can get a shot of him. I reached out to touch him and I noticed he wasn't hanging out by choice! This the second white spider I had seen around the lamb's ears that day. Do the spiders know they are that color, or are they naturally attracted to it (as I've heard pets may prefer bedding that matches their fur). Actually, this crab spider is supposed to be able to slowly alter its colors to match surrounding plants. This comes in handy because they are slow moving and built to simply wait and grab. They don't have to wait long for a bee in the herb bed!
Their venom is powerful enough to quickly subdue prey much larger than themselves so they don't wrap it in silk. Prey insects, notably honey bees, butterflies, flies and beetles, are grabbed by the spiders' spiny front legs and immediately bitten on the head area. The venom acts quickly to subdue the prey, which is eaten at once. Venom and digestive juices liquefy the insect's internal tissues, which the spider sucks up, leaving an empty but life-like husk. (...info from various web sites).

Think I'll stick to vegetables... and be more careful when petting the lamb's ears and bees.

4 comments:

Greenhouse Girl said...

Hi
You’re sounding very knowledgeable about those scary white spiders ... I don’t think we get them in the UK (hopefully not ‘cause I’m not good around spiders …) ...
And excellent picture! Colour co-ordinated spider ... maybe he should be on ‘Changing Rooms’...

Mike said...

Hi - really enjoyed flicking through your blog this evening - wish we had snakes as well as grasshoppers!

Christa said...

I have noticed bees that "park" themselves on my dahlia flowers, but I have never seen the spiders. Very interesting!

hanna in cleveland said...

Ohhh... That's creepy and cool all in one.